Thursday, May 5, 2011

Pressed But Not Crushed

Early this morning my oldest daughter came to our bedroom wanting to climb in our bed.  Since my husband does not sleep well when the girls are in bed with us, and had to get up for work today, I told her she needed to get back in her bed.  She came back a while later asking again.  I told her that once daddy got up for work that she could get in bed with me.  She went and laid on the couch, waiting patiently.  I had this tug on my heart to go curl up on the couch with her.  I waited, thinking it would go away, but it just got stronger.  So, we curled up on the couch and she went back to sleep.  As we laid there I was reminded of how comforting it was as a child for me to curl up with mom or dad, especially when I was tired or having a rough day.  Still today, 35 years later, I cherish the hugs I get from my parents.  I pray that as my girls grow they will always run to me for hugs and comfort, at least physical comfort.

The longer we laid there, the more I was reminded of how our Heavenly Father longs to give us the comfort our souls desperately need.  When we are worn down because life has thrown us a few too many curve balls, or drug us through the mud until we feel we are permanently stained, God stands with arms wide open, waiting for us to run to Him.  He knows everything we have gone through and has walked with us every step of the way.  The fact that we are so worn down may be because we have not acknowledged His presence through the journey.  I know this has been my experience more often in life than I wish to admit.  I am learning, but as I told you, I am a slow learner.

What is even better… He knows what is around the corner!  He knows what our next step will be and where it will lead.  He knows if it will provide a moment of peace, or if it will be the one last struggle that we feel will finally break us in two.  In either situation, HE IS THERE!  So many times in scripture we are promised that He will never leave nor forsake us.  He is with us every step of the way.  Again, though, we have to chose to acknowledge his presence, or try to go it on our own.  Trial and error.  I have to say the more erroneous choices I have made in my life are making me look more quickly to my Father. 

So, when life is rough, when you are down and out, when you feel as though you cannot take another step, take that step!  Don’t give in!  Remember, we are pressed but not crushed; perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted, yet not abandoned; struck down but never destroyed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment