Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Regeneration

There have been a few things heavy on my heart for some time now, things I feel a burden to share with you.  I meant to post these before Easter, but I am a slacker and did not get them finished or posted.  So sorry about that.

When I think about salvation, for some reason my mind goes to Spring.  I am convinced there are two reasons for this.  First, we celebrate Easter in Spring.  Salvation would not exist if it were not for the sacrifice of Christ on the cross and His glorious resurrection.  I have a hard time soaking this in every year.  I will never understand why there could not be a different way for us to experience Salvation.  But I will always be grateful that my Heavenly Father was willing to sacrifice His only Son for me, and that Jesus was willing to endure such pain and suffering for my soul.  Such a humbling thought.

Second, Spring brings about regeneration and new life in all creation.  I love to wake up and listen to the birds sing, to walk outside and see flowers bloom, and to see new life.  It is as if all creation is springing to life, singing praise to God for giving them new life.  Spring is quickly defeating Fall as my favorite season of the year.

Salvation brings with it the gifts of regeneration, justification and sanctification.  It all begins with regeneration.  The dictionary provides many definitions for regeneration, all of which are intriguing to me.  Regeneration is defined as: the act of regenerating; restoration; new growth by an organism that has been lost, removed or injured; rebirth; renewal.

When God created the world it was perfect and man walked in harmony and open communication and peace with God.  His intent was to walk intimately with us, free from sin and it’s consequences.  All of earth was created to flow in a sense of unity, providing for and taking care of each other.  The balance of nature was perfect and at peace.  Then, though the disobedience of Adam and Eve, sin entered the world and the delicate balance that once existed was shattered.  Adam and Eve were banned from God’s presence because of their sin, and every generation since has paid the same price.  We are not able to walk intimately with God the way He intended because of sin. 

Because of God’s great love for us, for His creation, He decided to do something radical to bring us back to Him.  Through the sacrifice of Jesus, His one and only son, God made a way to bring about regeneration in all those who believe in Christ.  When we believe in the death, burial and resurrection of Jesus Christ, we are given the gift of regeneration.  We are restored to the relationship God had intended to have with us from the beginning.  What was lost, removed and injured because of sin has been given new growth, renewal and rebirth.  What a glorious gift!

This, my friend is why I think of Spring when I think of my salvation.  God loves us so much that He was not satisfied living a life separated from us.  He loves us so much that He gave His only Son as a living sacrifice for our lives, so that we can walk in perfect unity and harmony with Him yet again.  So the next time you hear a bird or see a new flower, take a moment to reflect on the love the Father has bestowed on you, that you were given new life and are His child. 

No comments:

Post a Comment