Thursday, March 20, 2014

Day 11 of 40 Days to Passover and Resurrection Weekend - Read Exodus 1-6 with your family


Once upon a time…

Every good story has a very intentional opening line.  The writer knows the importance of grasping the reader’s attention immediately, or they risk losing the reader altogether.  


Madeline seems to get this concept, in sorts, though she depends more on the overdramatic use of her hands to get my attention.  Last night she wanted to desperately to tell me the story of either Ruth, Esther, Jacob or Joseph.  After much debate, she settled on Ruth.  While laying in her bed, she began using her hands to tell me that… “Once, there was a woman named Naomi who was married to a guy…”  While this may not be the opening line to a New York Best Seller, it had this mommy listening with every fiber of my being.

In the beginning.... 

These words, written in scarlet, are the opening lines to greatest story ever told.  From the first letter we see Christ woven through every story in scripture, tying them all together.

Jump forward to Moses.  God had led the Israelites to Egypt through Joseph.  I mean, they had to get there somehow in order to eventually become slaves and need salvation, right? 

Through a heart of stone molded by fear, Pharoah demanded all male children be killed.  But Moses had a strong, brave and incredibly faithful mother hat fought for the life of her child.  Ordinary by the world’s terms, but to a momma, and the God who created him Moses was so much more.

Unlike many of us today, we cannot see past the ordinary to the extraordinary in our own lives.  Moses had an unbelievable encounter with I AM.  He witnessed a burning bush that was not consumed by the fire the engulfed it, he heard the voice of God call him by name, and he was given a very specific task to accomplish for the Lord.  However, God did not call Moses to go it alone.  He didn’t tell Moses to “go and do” on is own.  He told Moses that He would be with him every step of the way.

Yet, as most of us do, he balked.  He was scared, but rather than admit it, he made excuses.

 “I don’t really know you all that well, I mean, I don’t even know your name!”

 “You really expect people to believe that you appeared to me, a nobody?”

 “I would love to, but, I ain’t so good at talking and such, and that Pharoah guy ain’t gonna listen to me.”

 Many of my excuses sound similar…

“I don’t know scripture as well as other people.”

“Who am I to tell others about you?”

“I know for a fact there are other people way more qualified than me!”

But God answers, possibly through slightly gritted teeth, with a loving voice that it’s not about us.  It was never about Moses.  God, I AM, the Creator, has chosen to select the ordinary to do extraordinary things.  People may balk, make fun of you, question your “authority,” or even flat out tell you that you are crazy, in so many words.  However, when God speaks to you, puts a burden on your heart, calls you out to DO something, don’t make excuses.  Don’t sit back in fear and trembling.  Borrow an overused advertising line from Nike and … JUST DO IT!  

How many people would have been impacted negatively if Moses had refused to go? 

How much longer would the Israelites have suffered in slavery before God found a replacement if Moses had decided to stay home with his family?   

How many people need you to say yes to God and run your race at full strength until your last breath on this earth?

You will never go it alone.  The great I AM is with you.  And he will send brothers and sisters to run alongside of you, cheering you on, offering encouragement, even calling you out when you begin to slip back into grip of fear, or even deflate your inflated ego if necessary. 

Our story began the day God spoke our names and began knitting us into being.  He continues to write our story even now.  Sit for a moment and let that sink in…

 
"I am a little pencil in the hand of a writing God who is sending a love letter to the world." -Mother Tersea

1 comment:

  1. A wonderful challenge to answer the call of God.

    ReplyDelete