Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Day 17 of 40 Days to Passover and Resurrection Weekend... Share your story


There is nothing like a good story.  Especially when you’re young.  Curling up next to mom or dad and listening to them read your favorite book.  My favorite childhood book was The Pokey Little Puppy.  I am sure my mom had it memorized by the time I was five. 

Now the tables are turned and I get to experience the joy of reading to my daughters.    There are few things better in life than snuggling up with my sweet girls sharing a story.   Each girl has their favorite book, favorite place to read and favorite doll or blanket to snuggle with. 

Recently Madeline started asking me to tell her stories about her Great Granny Grace.  The two never met, as my Grandmother passed away several years before Madeline was born.  But her legacy lives on every time I tell a story about sweet Granny Grace.  I cherish these moments, knowing I am passing on generation stories to my daughters. 

But what else am I passing on to them?  What legacy am I leaving them?  What stories of my life are important enough to tell them?  What mistakes do I want to warn them to avoid based on my personal experience?  What moments of pure joy do I want to relive in front of them?  What are the most important moments in my life?

I have learned the more I tell them about my life, the more they want to know.   I believe this is because it makes my life more tangible for them.  They get to hear about my childhood and realize that I was once a little girl, just like them.  They can see that the close relationship I have with my family started very early in my life. 

Telling them the story of my salvation opened up so many more doors.  They see that I struggled with the same questions about God as they do.  How can I know God is real when I cannot see Him?  Why does He love me so much?  Will He really forgive me when I mess up? 

Having these conversations with my girls shows them that God is real.  It shows them that it is ok to struggle with faith and knowing God’s voice.  It builds trust and a foundation for future conversations about their own journey of faith.

Do your children know your salvation story?  Do your nieces and nephews?  Do you know your own parents’ salvation stories?  Grandparents? 

Is there a better time than now to tell your story, or learn the salvation stories of those before you? 

As we are preparing our hearts for Passover and Resurrection weekend, take a moment to share your story.  If you have already, tell it again.  It should be your favorite story to tell. 

2 comments:

  1. I love this, Robin. I can picture you and your girls snuggled on the couch telling stories and reading books. You are passing on your faith to them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true. I wish that I knew more stories of my grandmother and great grandmother. You've given me something to think about.

    ReplyDelete