Tuesday, July 26, 2011

A Hard Lesson Learned

Man, life has been crazy the past two weeks!  I have been so very blessed though.  I was able to spend a lot of time with my brother, sister-in-love and niece before they moved to Texas.  I even got to spend time with other family and friends, and visit with my sister-in-love’s dad and younger brother.  I have to say, her dad is a true Texan!  He fits the image most people conjure up when they think of Texas.  Even better than the image, he has a heart as big as the state he lives in.  I have been blessed every time I have been in his presence.  He truly is a great man.

Beyond the amazing time with my family and friends, I have been able to carve away some special time to spend with my girls.  We have played dress up, done manis and pedis, picnicked in the living room, and spent a day playing at a local water park.  I cherish every moment I have with my girls because I know that all too soon they will be grown.  One of my biggest fears is looking back over their childhoods with regret.  So I take advantage of every second I can while they are still mine. 

One truly amazing and life changing thing happened to me this past week.  I was blessed with the opportunity to visit with a group of ladies at Priscilla’s Place, a local home for teen girls.  Priscilla’s Place is a part of Teen Challenge, a Christian residential service helping people deal with life-controlling addictions.  The young ladies we met with have a wide variety of backgrounds.  Many of the young ladies were there dealing with drug and alcohol abuse and addictions.  Some of them were there by court order, others because family love them enough to send them there. 

We entered a large Victorian style house and met with the facility director.  She told us the history of Priscilla’s Place and the stories of a few of the young ladies we were about to meet.  After a very informative discussion we joined the young ladies in their Thursday morning chapel service.  It was more of an informal bible study lead by woman from a local church.  She comes every Thursday to share the Word with these young ladies, and love on them.  As I sat and listened to her teach from Isaiah 43, I watched the faces of the young ladies in the room.  Some listened intently.  Some were there because they had to be.  Regardless of why they were there, they were all hearing the Word, which we know will not return void.  Lives were being changed that morning, including mine.

After the study was over, myself and the other two ladies visiting were invited to join a prayer circle, each woman in the room praying for God’s blessings and direction for the young ladies at Priscilla’s Place.  After our prayer time we were able to visit with a few of the young ladies before they headed to class.  They have daily classes ranging from biblical studies to daily life.  That particular day they had a theology class called “What We Know”.  I wish I could have sat in on the class, but we were blessed with a tour of the house during that time.

The entire time I was in the house my thoughts kept going back to 3 particular young ladies.  I didn’t know their stories and had no clue why there were at Priscilla’s Place, I just knew that my heart was drawn to them.  We finished our tour and were asked to sit it on a sign language class practice.  They young ladies learn and perform sign language to praise and worship songs.  As I sat and watched them, the words of the songs had all new meaning to me.  The ladies truly worshipped as they practiced, singing the songs of celebration and promises to the Lord.  I was not prepared for such an amazing time of worship in the middle of my week, but was so grateful to have been blessed by these amazing young ladies.

As I drove away I started crying and praying.  How am I supposed to be involved with these ladies?  What I am supposed to do to reach out to them?  I knew the Lord had not brought me to Priscilla’s Place that morning just to meet new people.  He brought me there for a reason.  He has something in store for me and the young ladies at Priscilla’s Place.  I am still praying for wisdom and direction, but am confident the Lord will show His will in His timing. 

The director of our Women’s Ministry and I plan to attend graduation in a few weeks.  Once the ladies have completed their time at Priscilla’s Place, they hold a special graduation ceremony for the young ladies.  We were asked to attend graduation and see how family and friends are impacted by the ministry at Priscilla’s Place.  I am looking forward to attending and visiting with these lovely ladies once again.

My visit really has me evaluating things in my life.  How am I giving to those in need?  How am I loving on others the way the Lord loves them?  What sacrifices am I making that show others how much they are loved?  Sadly, I am doing little.  Even worse, I am not teaching my daughters to love and to give.  I know that one person cannot change the world, but I can change the world to one person.  God has called us all to love others the way Christ has loved us.  Sacrificially.  Selflessly. Completely. 

While I am still processing my visit and asking God to show me how to get more involved, I hear several references to Kyle Idleman’s book “Not a Fan”.  I have wanted to read this for some time now, just have not made it that far down on my “list of books to read” yet.  I have researched the book and asked others about it.  I keep hearing the same thing… “it will change your life.”  Well, I am ready for that to happen.  I no longer want to be a fan of Christ, I want to be a true follower.  I want to live my life completely for Him, for His glory.   I know it is a life long process and journey.  I know that I will struggle daily.  I know that I will fall on my face some days.  However, I was made by my creator, for my creator and I need to live my life for Him.  In doing that, I need to love and sacrifice for others.  I need to let others see Christ in me.  I need to stop worrying about myself and what others think and focus only on what He wants me to do.

What has the Lord called you to do?  Are you doing it?  What are you afraid of?  Are you loving and giving as He has called you to love?  Are you serving and reaching out to others in need?  What can you do today to be a blessing to someone around you?  Don’t be afraid.  We were not given a spirit of fear or timidity, but of power, love and a sound mind.  Get out there and be His hands and feet!  Come back and share with me the good works you are doing for His name! 

BLESSINGS!

No comments:

Post a Comment