Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Egypt

I love how the Lord uses imagery to allow our finite minds to grasp biblical truths.  Of course He created us and knows exactly what we need to comprehend what He is trying to teach us.  The Children of Israel are one of the most amazing visuals in all scripture.  Every event they endured is a new lesson in and of itself.  One event has been on my heart lately, especially since it has been brought to my attention in different ways this past week, is their rejection of the promised land.

When the Israelites finally reach the border of Canaan, they found themselves faced with putting feet to their faith.  Moses sent men into Canaan to check out the land, the people and the cities and bring a report back.  Of course each man saw something different and had varying opinions, so I am sure the report was not so easy to give.  Some men were excited because they saw the true blessings in Canaan and took God at His Word.  The land was promised to the Israelites through Abraham, it was theirs for the taking.  They knew the large men and fortified cities were God’s way of testing their faith.  God wanted to know they truly believed Him and trusted Him to make good on His promise.  The other men could not see past the obstacles to the fulfillment of these promises.  So, inevitably, the reports were quite different.

As the men gave their reports, the people listened intently.  The only things they knew about Canaan were what they were being told.  As they listened, they gave in to fear of the unknown rather than trust the promises they knew.  The large men and fortified cities were just a bit too much for them to endure.  They were even convinced they would die at the hands of these men, even though they knew they were promised the land.  So, they decided they wanted to go back to Egypt.  At least they knew what waited for them in Egypt.  They were so intent on going back they threatened to stone the men who believed God and were trying to talk them in to taking Canaan.  What a visual!  How many idols and sins in my life have held me captive in such strong chains?  What sins have been pointed out lovingly by my Savior, with a promise that He would give me 100 fold what I am giving up?  How many times have I decided I was more comfortable in my sin, in my Egypt?

I find myself standing at the border of Canaan today.  I know well the promises God has given me.  I know that He only asks me to be obedient, to take possession of my Canaan.  As I lift my foot to step across that border, my hands begin to sweat.  All I have know so far in life has been Egypt and the dessert.  I have heard good things about my Canaan, but I have also been warned of the obstacles.  So, the question for me now is whether the promises God has given are more precious to me than Egypt or the dessert.  If He is, then I need to just go on and put my foot down across the border and start my journey.  I can look back in nostalgia, but I pray my reflections never give me the desire to want to go back into captivity or a dry dessert.  I know I will face obstacles along the way, but I also know God put them there to strengthen me.  So, here we go….

2 comments:

  1. Crossing the Jordon was only accomplished after the priests stepped into the water. Then, the Jordon parted. Taking that one step of faith is following God.

    ReplyDelete